I promised (threatened?) that I’d drop some Latin on you all for a future podcast and what better than to bring in We Like It Like That filmmaker Mathew Ramirez Warren to come in and talk boogaloo with me. We chatted about the inspiration behind the film, tracking down Latin music old-timers, and the importance of public-funded arts (save the NEA!) Then Mathew joined me in running down a playlist of some of our favorite boogaloo jams.
Subscribe to this and future episodes of The Sidebar.
- Ray Barretto: New York Soul (Fania, 1968)
- Willie Rosario: Watusi Boogaloo (ATCO, 1968)
- Louie Ramirez: New Breed (Mercury, 1967)
- Joe Bataan: Subway Joe (Fania, 1968)
- Ray Barretto: Together (Fania, 1969)
- Tony Pabon/La Protesta: Free (Rico, 1970)
- Jimmy Sabater: Times Are Changing (Tico, 1969)
- Willie Colon: Skinny Papa (Fania, 1968)
- Pedrito Ramirez: Micaela (Popo, 196?)
- El Gran Combo: Kiss My Nose (Gema, 1967)
- KantÃ© Manfla: Mosso Gnouma (Djima, 1969)
- Bobby Matos: El Casa De Alfredo (Philips, 1967)Outro: Sunlightsquare Combo: I Believe In Miracles (Sunlightsquare, 2010)