Sorry that I’ve been so lax with keeping you all up to date with these!
My most recent Artform Radio/WorldWideFM show.
This past Monday, I had a two hour set on Dublab. It opened with a short Bill Withers tribute before moving into some “feel good grooves.” In the second hour, I turned things over to my 15 year old, EMW, who programmed and sequenced a set based around stuff she’s been listening to during lockdown. It’s a family affair.
For your listening pleasure, here’s my latest set for Artform Radio on Worldwide FM. Tracklisting:
- Junior Mance: Cubano Chant
- BC & S: Sunshine
- The Montereys: Get Down
- Ronny Lapine: Side by Side
- Weldon Irvine: I Love You
- Sly and the Family Stone: Time For Livin’ (Alt Mix)
- Seven Seas: Pat’s Jam
- Los Grimm: Para Lograr Que Me Quieras (I’m Gonna Make You Love Me)
- Robb Jarmain: I’m All Alone
- Julius Brockington & The Magic Force: This Feeling
- Jean Wells: What Have I Got To Lose?
- 79.5: Terrorize My Heart (Disco Dub)
- Joby and the Angels: Bang Bang
- Fela Kuti: Lover
- The Skatalites Meet King Tubby: Heaven’s Gate
- The Sinseers: It Was Only a Dream
- Banda Macho: Party Down
- San Francisco TKOs: Make Up Your Mind
- The Village Callers: When You’re Gone
- Cal Tjader and Eddie Palmieri: Samba Do Suenho
Here’s my most recent outing on Artform Radio/WorldWide FM. You’ll have to excuse the few seconds of silence preceding song #2 (Jamila Woods). Warped records = ugh.
- Les Mogol: Sunset in Golden Horn
- Jamila Woods: Betty
- Truthettes: So Good to be Alive (Teddy Pendergrass)
- Ciel Miner: Stardust (Philadelphia)
- King Nando: Where Is My Future?
- Jimmy Heath: Smilin Billy
- Delfonics: He Don’t Really Love You
- La Zara and the Dominants: Didn’t I
- Irma Thomas: Hitting On Nothing
- Breakers Two: I’m Gonna Get Down
- Flame and the Sons of Darkness: Something
- Gal Costa: Baby
- Andrew Oldham Orchestra: The Last Time
- Ray Alexander Technique: My Special One
- Exsaveyons: I Don’t Love You No More
- The New Expression: Don’t Have Time to Lose (s/o Michael Barnes)
- The Night Walkers: Can I Change My Mind
- Bola Sete: Bettina
I was recently part of the crew that helped launch the weekly Artform Radio series that’s being broadcast on WorldWide FM. Here’s the episode of the my first show:
- R.D. Burman: Dance Music
- Crowns of Glory: Lord Hold Me In Your Arms
- Edith Jones: I Don’t Care No More
- The Delfonics: He Don’t Really Love You
- Herman Davis: Gotta Be Loved
- Fully Guaranteed: We Can’t Make It Together
- Ahmad Jamal: the World is a Ghetto
- Los Moskas: Amor Sin Suerte
- Joby Valente: Tu N’Es Pas Riche, Tu N’Es Pas Beau
- The Night Walkers: Stormy
- Nina Simone: Cosi Ti Amo
- Swan Silvertones: You Pray On
- IA&P Co: Check Yourself
- Sir Wales Wallace: What Ever You Want
- Adrian Younge: Fly Wallenda
- Enchanted Five: Have You Ever
- Willie Brown: Love That Stranger
- The Ambassadords: Ain’t Got the Love
- James Taylor: This Girl
- Deen Dodge: Perfect Love
- OIympia Brass Band: Tuba Fats
This past Friday, I was a guest DJ for Jeffery Plankser’s Jazz Advance show on Dublab. Jeffery came up with “Blue Coolaid” to name this particular show as we spun soul-jazz tunes for two hours. It was an excuse for me to pull out some of my soul-jazz faves, both new and old. Listen here.
Michael Barnes and I recently got to guest host a show on Dublab. For many years, Dublab’s been one of the premier internet stations but on the day we hosted (6/30), it was their very second day as a terrestrial radio station as well, micro-broadcasting on 99.1 FM in parts of Los Angeles. Michael and I both got our start, many years ago, at KALX 90.7 FM in Berkeley so it was very exciting to get back on the air.
For the occasion, we went with cover songs (you know me!) and it was a great excuse to pull out a slew of recent acquisitions, and my past favorites, to share with everyone.
As I’m doing all summer, I asked my guests to bring in a slew of summer songs and Expo came with a smooth selection, including that DeRobert and Half-Truths 7″ I totally snoozed on.