Morgan Neville is the filmmaker behind the new documentary about back-up singing: 20 Feet From Stardom. I met Morgan at a Highland Park event for Songs in the Key of Los Angeles and he mentioned his film, which sounded awesome, and then having caught it, I can confirm: it is totally awesome. Anyone who has a love for the voices that have defined pop music of the last 30 years should go see this. He dropped by the home studio the other week to talk about the film, the singers, and being an L.A. apologist.
The Sidebar Podcast #34: Morgan Neville
Subscribe to this and future podcasts.
- Lou Reed: Walk on the Wild Side (available on the 20 Feet From Stardom soundtrack)
- Darlene Love: Wait Til My Bobby Comes Home (available on The Sound of Love
- Rolling Stones: Salt of the Earth (From Beggars Banquet)
- Lamont Dozier: Going Back To My Roots (From Peddlin’ Music on the Side
- Claudia Lennear (backed by Joe Cocker): Let It Be (From Mad Dogs & Englishmen
- Judith Hill: Desperation (available on the 20 Feet From Stardom soundtrack)
- Snippet from Shotgun Freeway