Sofrito is one of the premier Latin-themed parties in London and the good folks at Strut decided to bless ’em with their own curated compilation.
Peep the tracklist (along with sound clips of some tunes):
1. BANDA LOS HIJOS DE LA NINA LUZ â€“ QUIERO AMANACER
2. LES YA TOUPAS DU ZAIRE â€“ JE NE BOIS PAS BEAUCOUP
3. FRENTE CUMBIERO â€“ PITCHITO
4. FAIR NICK STARS â€“ ARRETE MAL PARLE
5. KYEREMATEN STARS â€“ MAYE OBI DEN
6. VICTOR UWAIFO â€“ OHUE (FRANKIE FRANCIS & SIMBAD EDIT)
7. ADOLFO ECHEVERRIA â€“ SABROSO BACALAO
8. EL TIMBA â€“ DESCARGA BONTEMPI
9. MIGHTY SHADOW â€“ DAT SOCA BOAT
10. DANY PLAY â€“ FAâ€™WAKA
11. SAFOHENE DJENI â€“ MAHU WO ASIE
12. TI CELESTE â€“ POPILATION BASSE-TERRIENNE DU ABOIS
13. QUANTIC Y SU CONJUNTO LOS MITICOS DEL RITMO â€“ CUMBIA DE MOCHILLA
14. ROARING LION â€“ CARNIVAL LONG AGO
15. GNONNAS PEDRO â€“ YIRI YIRI BOUM
It’s a blend of old and new tracks that span from Africa to the Caribbean and I was absolutely turned onto some killer stuff, including these two personal favorites:
Adolfo: Echeverria: Sabroses Bacalao
Quantic Y Su Conjunto Los Miticos Del Ritmo: Cumbia De Mochilla
From Sofrito: Tropical Discotheque (Strut, 2011)
The Echeverria comes from the awesome stables of the Fuentes family and the sound here is pura salsa dura de Colombia; great horns and whoever is hammering those keys is going all out. Meanwhile, Quantic bangs out another contempo-cumbia track, this time in tribute to the L.A. hometeam at Mochilla (B+, what up!).
Courtesy of Strut, we have a copy of this CD to give away (U.S. and European readers eligible). If you’re interested, drop us your email here. Winner drawn at random at the end of the week.