Patrick Huang, aka DJ Phatrick, helped create and hosts the monthly Devil’s Pie party (Bay Area, L.A. and New York). He used to be the DJ for Native Guns and still regularly tours with Bambu. His day gig involves teaching music to middle and high school students in Los Angeles.
Phatty (seriously, they call him that) rolled down to the home studio to talk about the music tastes of teenagers, being the token Chinese DJ for Filipino rappers and…his summer song choices. Yup, we’re bringing the summer songs series to the podcasts (which is good because there won’t be a formal set of posts this year; too busy to coordinate!).
Sidebar #5: DJ Phatrick of Devil’s Pie
Music used in podcast:
- The Five Stairsteps: Danger, Sheâ€™s a Stranger (from 7″, Windy C 1967). Also on First Family of Soul)
- Native Guns: 1995 (DJ Phatrick Remix) (from Stray Bullets Vol. 2, 2008)
- Bambu: 2 Dope Boyz Drop (from 2dopeboyz.com 2009)
- Estelle: Come Over (from Shine, Atlantic 2008)
- 213: Another Summer (from The Hard Way, TVT 2004)
- Bambu and Prometheus Brown: Rashida Jones (from Walk Into a Bar, forthcoming 2011)
- Wiretap’s 2008 interview with Phatrick.
- Phatrick’s Tumblr page.
- ChinatownDo (a group blog dedicated to all things Chinese)
P.S. I’m overdue for a listener request podcast. What you all want to listen to? Drop suggestions in the comments.