It’s been a minute since the last Sidebar podcast but I figured I could make things up to y’all by busting out an interview with Syl Johnson, the legendary R&B/funk musician/singer out of Chicago. Syl’s going to be playing in Los Angeles, with Breakestra no less, on February 11th and I am hella excited to see how they’ll team up.
Syl’s been riding a wave of re-discovery every since his Complete Mythology anthology dropped on Numero Group back in 2010.1 We talked about how busy he’s been, especially in working with a new generation of young singers, but the podcast is mostly devoted to going through the history of his songs, including getting a back story to “Different Strokes” that I had never heard before. I wouldn’t say it’s NSFW…but it’s definitely adult material!
All that plus you get to hear Syl doing his best Ol Dirty Bastard impersonation. Hot damn!
The Sidebar #22: Syl Johnson
Music used in the podcast (all available on The Complete Mythology unless *otherwise indicated*)
- Sockin’ Soul Power
- *Mellow-D: Love Makes a Woman
- *Vicci Martinez: Anyway the Wind Blows
- *Syleena Johnson: Is It Because I’m Black?
- I Resign From Your Love
- Come On, Sock It To Me
- Different Strokes
- *Kanye West and Jay-Z: The Joy
- Dresses Too Short
- Is It Because I’m Black?
- Concrete Reservation
- *Syl Johnson: Bout To Make Me Leave My Home (on The Complete Syl Johnson on Hi Records)
- *Boogie Down Productions: Criminal Minded
- *Wu-Tang Clan: Shame on a Nuh
- Try Me