For those of you who subscribe to my (old) Sidebar podcast, you may (or shortly will) discover a new episode awaiting you, the first in nearly two years. One of my ambitions for this year is to produce more audio content and while I’m working on a more ambitious podcast idea, I decided, in the short run, to create something that was simple to throw together at home: an annotated playlist.
The conceit is simple: pick one of my iTunes thematic playlists, hit “random,” pluck out the first 10 songs and talk about them. I started with my “Favorites and Recent” playlist, which I use on my phone for either 1) recent digitizations or 2) favorite songs. As such, this particular spin of the wheel yielded some obvious hits but in the future, I’ll likely pick other playlists that are filled with songs off the beaten path.
This is an experiment. I’m basically taking what could have been a 10-song Soul Sides post and turned it into a podcast instead. Maybe people will prefer just reading the same content vs. listening to me yammer on about them. Send me some feedback and let me know your preference. If enough folks like it, I’d be happy to do more down the road.
- Ohio Players: Ecstasy (Matthew Africa Edit) (Westbound, 1973/2012)
- Jack McDuff: Shadow Of Your Smile (Atlantic, 1967)
- Leo Sayer: Magdelena (Warner Bros, 1976)
- Chi-Lites: Oh Girl (Brunswick, 1972)
- Joni Mitchell: All I Want (Reprise, 1971)
- The Ethics: I Want My Baby Back (Vent, 1969)
- Francois Rauber: Improvisation (Unidisc, 197?)
- The Relatives: More Time To Explain (Archway, 196?)
- The Pharycde: She Said (Jay Dee Remix) (Delicious Vinyl, 1976)
- The Hassles: 4 O’Clock in the Morning (United Artists, 1968)
Intro: Tonio Rubio: Slowrama (Tele-Music, 1973)